If you read part 1. You’d know I got the Zenit 4 working 15 minutes after I started working on it. Did some minor adjusting, lubing, and cleaning. Got it working decent. Of course, next morning when I woke up, reached over to the camera, cocked it and fire, the shutter fires everything seems to work, except I can’t see the viewfinder! Upon further inspection, the problem was the mirror and the back “flap” won’t come down while cocking the shutter, which makes the camera useless with the shutter open, no mirror, and no back “flap” to cover the screen. When that happens, it means the problem will most likely be inside the mirror box. It is pretty much one of the first thing you’ll install on that camera during the manufacture . There is only one solution………. and what’s better to do on a stormy day when you don’t have to work in the morning? So without any repair manual, lets try my knowledge.
Removed the meter hardware, comes off also in one piece. Now i don’t have to worry about breaking the wires. Be careful when you take the meter out or you will break the needles.
Leave the winding gear in tact.
A better view of what I’ve done at up to this point. Notice the winding gears on the right top. Lube them when you’re putting everything back together.
After everything is out, still can’t find anything link to the problem area. Now to the next big thing.
Back to the problem. It will be right there on the left. But I still can’t figure out for sure. I decided to loosen the 4 screws up top and take the mirror box out, to understand how it works with a better view. Lube all that shit before you put it back together, also clean the contacts on the right on both side.
This will be the mirror assembly. The back flap, the mirror. If you see right in the middle, there is a “post”. A lever is supposed to link to this post to push it up and down. Lets go find the lever on the camera.
The power came back on in the afternoon the next day. I decided to tackle the broken meter with the knowledge I acquired yesterday. I got the ASA ring apart, took this piece out, and re fit a pin in it with a paper clip, and soldering gun, the match needle moves.
Later on i calibrated the meter, it will have to be done under the ASA ring and also the lens mount if needed. Adjusted the focusing screen/glass. Clean. Now everything works. Except I didn’t glue the vinyl on in case I had to tear it down again because of light leaks, since all the light baffle are very very old and I do not have any replacements on hand.
MADE IN USSR. REBUILT IN MICHIGAN. ZENIT 4.